Postgame Notes: Utah
Submitted by drew harris on Wed, 12/27/2017 - 05:54
- Utah finishes it season with a 7-6 record. It is Utah’s fourth-straight winning season.
- Utah has won five-straight bowl games (2011 Sun, 2014 Las Vegas, 2015 Las Vegas, 2016 Foster Farms, 2017 Heart of Dallas).
- With the win, Utah head coach Kyle Whittingham raises his NCAA-record bowl win percentage to 91-percent (11-1). His 11 bowl victories is currently tied for first among active coaches with Alabama’s Nick Saban (Alabama plays on Jan. 1).
- Utah’s defense held West Virginia to 153 total yards, including just 29 yards rushing. Of WVU’s 72 total second half yards, 67 came on the Mountaineers only touchdown drive of the game with two minutes remaining. WVU had negative three rushing yards in the first quarter, 13 rushing yards at halftime and had just four total yards in the third quarter. West Virginia had just two third down conversions for the game (2-of-14, 14.3%).
- Utah forced four turnovers (two interceptions, two fumble recoveries), turning them into 13 points.
- Julian Blackmon had two interceptions, both in the fourth quarter, and was named Most Valuable Player. He has four interceptions this season.
- Zack Moss had his fifth 100-yard game of the season (and in his career) with 150 yards (20 carries). He scored a touchdown on a career-high 58-yard rush in the first quarter, his 10th rushing score of the season. Moss ended the season with 1,173 rushing yards, which ranks tied for eighth all-time in a season at Utah.
- Tyler Huntley threw for 165 yards passing (12-of-26, 0 TD, 0 INT). Huntley rushed for 57 yards (25 carries) with two touchdowns. He had six rushing touchdowns for the season.
- Daren Carrington led Utah in receiving with four catches for 62 yards. He ends his season with 980 receiving yards, a career high for the graduate transfer.
- Matt Gay went 3-of-3 in field goals with makes of 29, 26 and 24 yards. The Lou Groza Award winner and consensus All-American finishes his season holding single-season Utah records for field goals made (30) and attempted (34), 50+ field goals (5), points in a season (130) and points per game in a season (10.0).
- Donavan Thompson and Kavika Luafatasaga tied for the team lead with six tackles each. Luafatasaga also had an assisted TFL.
- Cody Barton recovered a pair of fumbles during the game. His first was a fumble on a muffed punt return in the second quarter on the WVU 13-yard line, with the second coming in the fourth quarter on a bad WVU snap. He has a team-high three fumble recoveries this season.
- Lowell Lotulelei recorded four tackles, which included a team-high 2.5 TFL and 1.5 sacks.
- Boobie Hobbs had three punt returns for 46 yards while Demari Simpkins had three kick returns for 39 yards.